Thursday, April 28, 2011

Anchors

I am tired so very tired. But between this overdue paper, the research project I haven't started on, the things my friends want me to do, the things my parents want me to do, impending finals and the stuff that's going on at work, I don't see myself getting a real rest anytime soon. I don't even see myself getting any rest during summer break. It's looking like I'll have to find a second job for the summer, just to get my parents off my back. Which is unfortunate. I didn't want to spend my entire summer working. I wanted to catch up on my reading and writing. I wanted to sleep. But apparently 9 a.m. is too late to sleep in now. Sleeping during the day is "not right" also. Spending any sort of time in my room on my computer is "unhealthy."

Thing is, without this computer, I probably would have been dead or crazy ages ago.

How do I figure? Well, first of all, there's the fact that it allows me to talk to my friends when my cell phone is unreliable (which is all the time). Second, it's given me an outlet for all the things I can't say to anyone. Third, music. Fourth, I learn new things all the time because of this computer. These are the things that keep me sane and that keep me going. I don't see how spending time with them is unhealthy. It's an anchor of sorts, like books.

Speaking of books, I've been spending a lot of money on books lately. I need a new bookshelf desperately. I can't help but buy at least one a week now. I love books: the way the smell, the way the words look on the page, the way the pages feel, the way the sentences sound all strung together. Like I said, they are an anchor. I think without them I would just float away.

No comments:

Post a Comment