Wednesday, September 7, 2011

V is for the Vitamin String Quartet


Smile Like You Mean It | The Killers

There are a few things that make this song special. First of all, my friend Melissa made me a mix CD one year in high school. On it, she put songs that reminded me of her. Among "I'll Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan and "Let Go" by Frou Frou was this song I'd never heard before. I've listened to The Killers' version maybe a thousand times because it's a great song. But here was this beautiful cover. I listened to it maybe twenty times in a row after I got the CD, just so I could memorize each note. Every time I hear it, I can't help but think of Melissa. She's been a great friend, though we've lost touch a bit since high school. I talked to her the other day though, and I realized just how much I miss her and our ridiculous antics. She is the Hobbes to my Calvin, really.
The other thing that makes this song special is just the general feel of it. I put so much stock in lyrics that sometimes I forget that just the feel of a piece can speak to me. This song has always felt soothing and nostalgic. There were many nights in high school (and college too) that I cried myself to sleep for one reason or another. But I could (and can) always play this song and just go to a place of rest. It may not always make me happy, but it will always make me peaceful.
Also, it's played entirely on strings. I love string instruments, specifically violin. They just have the most beautiful sound to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment