Friday, August 19, 2011

I didn't get to say anything about my job transfer in my post about the move. I meant to talk about it, but I forgot. So I'll do that now.

I've been working at my old store for four years. Anyone who knows me well enough knows that I worked ALL THE TIME throughout high school and now during college. So those two factors came together to create a sort of home for me. I really hated it sometimes. I'm good with customers, but I'd prefer to sit around an office filing papers all day to working a customer service counter. People easily frustrate me. Then there were my co-workers. Most of them I got along with just fine, but there was a continual parade of new faces. Toward the end of my time there, I felt like I hardly knew anyone and the ones I did know were very important to me. I began to like my job less and less. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't mistreated in any way; I was just really longing for a change of pace. I was sad to leave certain people, but I was glad overall to be transferring.

There are some problems with leaving that store though. There, I had pretty much been granted free reign. The supervisors knew I could do my job and even trusted me with theirs when the occasion called for it (and it often did as we became busier and busier, and the staff seemed to shrink to a skeleton crew). I knew exactly what I was doing at all times. I knew how to deal with all the managers. I built relationships with our regular customers and with fellow employees. I was comfortable and generally at ease.

Now, I'm basically starting from scratch. Sure, I know my way around a register and can navigate the tasks required of me. That's no problem. But I'm certainly uncomfortable.

My first shift was somewhat nightmarish. Since I was scheduled 9-5, I figured my supervisor or some other clerk would be there to give me the rundown. But no, I was alone. I felt nervous enough without that. Those eight hours were pretty grueling. I continually worried about doing something wrong. I mean, not all stores operate the same way, and this is definitely a different environment than my old store.

Tonight, I worked a four hour shift. It was so. much. better. I got my supervisor to explain some stuff to me, and I met the assistant drug manager. I was still very nervous and unsure, but I feel much better about things after tonight. I'll adjust. And since I'll probably be at that store for awhile, I suspect I'll likely get more comfortable and make new friends. Overall, I guess tonight gave me a little boost of optimism.

No comments:

Post a Comment